Not really sure exactly when I fell in love with plantains, but it definitely happened. It might have been when I went to Miami and ate at a BUNCH of Cuban and Caribbean restaurants, or when I first bought them because I saw everyone raving about them on instagram. I mean you can have them as chips, fried, baked, grilled, in my Bacon Plantain Guacamole. There’s just so much you can do with them, but this is always my go-to. Fried up with some coconut oil and cinnamon.These can be eaten with breakfast, as a snack, as dessert (awesome with some coconut cream or almond butter!!), or as a side. No matter when you eat it and who you share it with (even if that is just yourself), this easy, three-ingredient recipe is sure to be a hit!
The Perfect Fried Plantains
serves: 2-4 prep time: 5 minutes cook time: 5 minutes
- 2 plantains, preferably spotted brown
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Place pan on burner set to medium to pre-heat (this is a trick I learned to ensure that your food doesn’t stick when using stainless cookware. Pre-heat the pan, then add the fat, then add the food).
- Slice plantains into fairly thin slices (about 1/2-1 cm)
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Place coconut oil in pan, when melted, add plantain slices, laying them flat.
- Let cook for 1-2 minutes on each side then serve.