Do you know how hard it is to make dairy-free frosting? No? Well let’s just say it’s VERY hard. I did end up using some butter in this final recipe, but you could also use a butter substitute, or maybe possibly try ghee. I tested this recipe about 10 times before I got it just right, so I hope you enjoy.
Caramel or Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
yields: ∼1 1/2 cups prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 0 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted, grass-fed butter or butter substitute
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar or powdered coconut sugar***
- 4 Tablespoons coconut milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a kitchen stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat butter and shortening on high speed until soft, about one minute.
- Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar then 1 Tablespoon coconut milk on medium speed. Repeat this until you run out of sugar and milk.
- Add vanilla and beat frosting on high speed for 5 minutes.
***In this recipe I used one cup of each powdered sugar and powdered coconut sugar. The powdered sugar gives it a sweeter taste with a fluffier texture while the coconut sugar gives it a more caramel taste and denser texture. To make the powdered coconut sugar: grind coconut sugar with arrowroot/tapioca starch (1 teaspoon starch for every 1 cup sugar) in a food processor or coffee grinder.