September has come, and we’ve been having the most lovely Fall weather here in Nebraska. It seriously makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside because Fall is the GREATEST SEASON EVER!! The coming of Autumn can only mean one thing: ~pumpkin spice lattes~! While I do spend almost every day at Starbucks, I have yet to try their infamous pumpkin drink. (Although I have created pumpkin spice coffee creamer before which is pretty bomb). Instead of lattes, this season means pumpkin, apple, and pecan EVERYTHING to me. Last year I created tons of Thanksgiving/Fall recipes that were super fun and festive, and of course I intend to do the same this year.
Looking back at my food pictures from this time last year, I realize that I thought they were pretty awesome…in reality, they really weren’t. I still have a lot of learning left to do, and I hope that I can continue to discover new food photog tips and hopefully find a food photography class nearby to gain more knowledge. Until then, my pics will have to do. When I was coming up with this recipe, I realized how important the perfect food picture really is. I saw a photo on pinterest of an unhealthy version of these bars, and my mouth immediately began to water. I could literally imagine the exact taste and texture in my mouth…it was pretty weird! I knew that I had to nail that flavor before I’d ever be happy with this recipe. Thankfully, I did find a way to paleofy these and boy am I glad about that! I’ll definitely be making these again for a gathering this season! They remind me of that insane caramel bark stuff that you make with saltine crackers and then cover with chocolate! OUT OF THIS WORLD DELICIOUS! TRY THEM…NOW!!!
Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie Bars
serves: ~12 people prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 30 minutes
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the topping:
- 2 cups roasted pecans (if you are using raw pecans, roast on a baking sheet for 5-7 minutes at 350°F)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted grass-fed butter (or butter substitute if vegan)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8x8in. baking dish with coconut oil.
- Mix all ingredients for the crust with a fork in a mixing bowl until combined. The mixture will be crumby, but should not be dry. Add a bit more coconut oil if it is.
- Press the crust mixture into the baking dish so it is evenly covered and place in the oven for 7 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, combine the butter, coconut sugar, coconut milk, vanilla, and sea salt in a saucepan and melt over medium heat. Once the caramel begins to boil, remove it from the heat.
- When the crust is done, take it out of the oven and spread the pecans and chocolate chips over it. Then pour over the caramel sauce.
- Place the bars in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Once they are done, let them cool for 10-15 minutes then enjoy.